Saturday, September 27, 2008

TechWatch: Gesture-Driven TV

Toshiba has unveiled an experimental TV that allows viewers to control it just by gesturing with their hands. A sensor above the screen picks up your movements, even in different lighting conditions. You can control a cursor by using your hand or use different gestures for "play" and "stop." You can even hold up picture cards to switch the display's language or contents.

Positives: This may be the first advance in TV technology I can think of that will actually result in me getting MORE exercise. Other than WiiFit, of course, but that can't be used while watching the game. It's also great for people, like me, whose remotes often resemble Dr. Orpheus' from "The Venture Brothers" (in that they've "vanished from the material realm").

Negatives: Those using this system will really have to watch what gestures they make, and I'm sure this will lead to a lot of accidentally fast-forwarded DVDs. Also, what if you have multiple people watching? Currently if I want to claim the remote all I need to do is lie on top of it. I can't do that here!

Will it catch on?: Ehh....

Read more here: http://www.physorg.com/news141570427.html

No comments: